Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A$AP Ferg - Trap Lord


I have kind of been putting this album off ever since it came out. I've heard maybe two songs with A$AP Ferg featured, and he was terrible in both. On top of that, I haven't been too keen on anything from the A$AP Mob aside from the original Rocky Mixtape. And on top of that, I don't think I am a big fan of trap music. I have only heard Flockaveli and Trap God 2, but both of them have a lot of those corny synth-horns that I am never too fond of in hip hop.

Trap Lord is therefore, quite the pleasant surprise. This album is awesome. It has some of the best production and beats I've heard in a long time, and A$AP Ferg actually turns out to be a pretty likable MC (likable in that I enjoy watching his music videos, but he would certainly make me very uncomfortable if we were to hang out).

So we now reach the point in my review where you, as a hip-hop fan, need to assess what kind of hip-hop fan you are. Do you prefer Kendrick Lamar or ScHoolboy Q? Kendrick is one of the most talented lyricists in the rap game right now, and his beats are secondary to that. Q has some bangin beats, but his lyrics are not great. However, the one thing both rappers have in common is an excellent flow.

A$AP Ferg falls into the ScHoolboy Q category; he's definitely no lyrical genius. However unlike Q, he doesn't even have the great flow to redeem himself. Like A$AP Rocky, his charisma and southern style make up for many of his shortcomings.

Having said all that, check out this line:

"Mothafuckas like cavities cause them niggas be too fake"

Yes, he says "toofake" like tooth ache. And yes, it is one of the greatest lines I've ever heard.

One more thing before I wrap this up, does anyone enjoy sex sounds in hip-hop songs? You're listening to "4:02", which is a smooth jam, and then what's that? Some woman being pleasured? Cool. I have guests in my car and now they think I listen to people having sex. I get that A$AP Ferg wants to come off as some womanizer, but it's far more believable if you just confidently say so. When you put sex sounds on your song, you sound like a guy who thinks he's no longer a virgin cuz he touched a boob accidentally at a concert.

Anyways, be sure to get Trap Lord and crank it while driving around with the windows down, making sure you turn it back down when at a red light.


No comments:

Post a Comment