Monday, October 28, 2013

Laurel Halo - Chance of Rain


Yes. Laurel Halo has done two things with this record:

1) She made a record that lives up to the hype I've assigned to her.
2) She made the follow-up to Splazsh that Actress never did.

When I first saw a video about Laurel, I was entranced. She was playing piano as a strange sample looped, and I was immediately excited for her debut release. Last year's Quarantine was just too weird, though. There were many moments that captured my attention like that old youtube video had, but many more where her vocals and song structure just turned me right off.

With Chance of Rain, Laurel has crafted an immersive, hypnotizing techno album that belongs in a club on the moon. It really does feel like a follow up to Actress' Splazsh. If you've heard that record, expect more of the brooding, stuttering, off-kilter dub music, only with more cohesion as an album. If you haven't heard Splazsh... well, get on that.

Chance of Rain is released on Hyperdub, so if you enjoy their weird brand of dubstep/future garage/whatever-other-lame-genre-tag-you-can-come-up-with, definitely check out this record.


No comments:

Post a Comment