Thursday, February 20, 2014

Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness


The drought is over! And to think I almost never listened to this album. My buddy Chris suggested I check it out, and I am glad he did. I admit I didn't listen to the album once I saw buzz on the internet for two reasons:

1) It seemed to me to be another cute girl singing not-too-catchy pop songs on acoustic guitar. Which is exactly the kind of music you expect from someone named "Angel Olsen".
2) For a fleeting second I thought she might be a sister of the Olsen twins, and the only reason she had a career in music was that novelty.

I did not do any research to confirm or deny these assumptions, I just decided not to check it out. Big mistake.

Within the first few seconds, my fears for the album seemed to be confirmed... barely strumming the guitar... breathless mumbly singing... but then you hit 0:40 and wham! That voice just floors me. And once the second track starts with a grittier-than-I-expected guitar riff and Angel's filtered vocals with 'tude, I am hooked. By the time she switches back into "cute girl on acoustic guitar" mode I hear it through a different filter--I know she has the charisma to back it up.

Burn Your Fire... reminds me of Chad VanGaalen's Diaper Island with a Western tinge to it. Her voice has a certain Hank Williams vibe to it that I really enjoy. And this is coming from a guy who wears western shirts pretty regularly... so...

Check it out, yall.


No comments:

Post a Comment