Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Best of 2013: Best Albums I Heard for the First Time This Year Even Though They Were Not Released This Year

Every year, there are albums that dominate my listening habits for a year, but don't get the proper recognition they deserve since a) they don't show up on any end of year lists, and more importantly b) no one is talking about "that cool new band" Talking Heads in 2013.

Here is a list of albums I either missed out on or wasn't old enough to appreciate when they first came out.


And really, Talking Heads' entire discography. This band really wowed me this year. I had always known they were good, but I'd always assumed they were good in a "you had to be there in the 80s" kind of way. But Talking Heads sound as fresh and exciting as any band I listened to this year. This live album is an excellent introduction to their entire discography, and even at 2 and a half hours, it never gets stale.


I tried pretty hard to get into Boris this year. I didn't really get into most of their stuff, but this album is really in a class of its own. "Feedbacker, Part 2" is an excellent piece in itself, but the rest of the songs on here are really great too. The consistency on this album is something that is missing from other Boris releases.


And really, Swans' entire discography. I began listening to Swans at the tail end of 2012, but I did not attempt their early live album until I knew I was ready. This album is as shocking and abrasive as the title suggests. It represents Swans in its most crystalline form, their entire aesthetic boiled down into an hour and 15 minutes. If you are just getting into Swans, I recommend checking out The Seer or Children of God first. Unless you hate yourself. Then go for Public Castration is a Good Idea today!


2013 will go down as the year I became that guy no one likes who likes jazz. I blogged about my frustrations with jazz earlier this year, but it turns out I wasn't listening to the right stuff. When I think of jazz, I immediately go to the late 50's/early 60's period where hard bop was king. While I like some elements from this era, it's the late 60's on into the 70s where jazz gets really interesting. Incorporating funk and electronic elements into his music, Herbie Hancock created the greatest template for hip-hop I have heard. The solos are soulful, the beats are nasty, and the synth lines psychadelic. Great intro to jazz for hip hop heads.


During my investigations throughout jazz's history, I discovered a 70s avant-garde jazz composer who made spaced out, noisy, free jazz. Not really my cup of tea, but I figured I'd check out his early 50's masterpiece, Jazz in Silhouette before I wrote him off. This album has all the class you want from a 50s jazz record, but with the excitement and controlled soloing you expect from a Mingus record. After further investigation, I found that Sun Ra is defined only by his eclectic releases and eccentricity. He will put out a chilled out jazz lounge album one month, and the next release a drug-fueled avant-garde album where someone bangs on a drum for an hour. This album along with Lanquidity and Sleeping Beauty form a Holy Trinity of Sun Ra albums that can satisfy any mood. 


What the hell guys? Why had I not heard this album until November of this year? It's a gritty, smelly, catchy pop rock album that I absolutely fell in love with. It's also a great substitute for Women, who broke up last year. After further investigation I found out WU LYF also broke up last year. Why? Why can't grungy pop rock bands stay together?! WHY?!

No comments:

Post a Comment