Friday, September 6, 2013

Metal

So, I guess I have a bit of a confession to make... I've been listening to a lot of metal recently. Typically when I think of metal fans, the coolest people don't really spring to mind.

Me right now.

Regardless, here are some albums I've really been into lately.


Inter Arma - Sky Burial

This album is extremely slow, muddy, and altogether heavy. At times they sounds like an extremely heavy Pink Floyd singing about Cormac McCarthy's world in The Road. I use the term "singing" pretty loosely here. Screamed vocals with a ton of reverb is the norm here, really blending in with the music nicely. The vocals stand out to me a lot more now that I've looked up the lyrics, but I kind of preferred how I heard them before as just another instrument in the mix. Inter Arma uses a technique familiar to those who fell in love with The Seer last year in seemingly endless repetition to pummel the listener into submission. The comparison to Swans really ends there though, as the repetition used here is that of a single riff, Swans prefers the "single chord over and over again" approach. I feel like this might be a really great introduction to "nu-black metal", especially if you're a Pink Floyd fan.
Inter Arma - The Long Road Home


Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

I think I have a thing for really slow, heavy, doom-laden metal. Pallbearer follows in Black Sabbath's footsteps and takes doom a step further, creating 12-minute epics full of awesome riffs and never breaking the 80 bpm barrier.* The singer has an excellent voice that fits the music perfectly. It's got a tinge of Ozzy, but lends itself to a more "singing about wizards" vibe. If this is more you're style of headbanging, definitely check this album out.
*Disclaimer: I have no idea how accurate this statement is. "The music is slow" is the point I'm trying to make here. 


Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory & Injury

This album is not slow, nor muddy. If I were to describe this album succinctly, it would be "evil as shit". I'm not 100% sure a true guitar chord is ever played on this album. It is fast, aggressive, dissonant, and I don't think the singer is singing about wizards. Again, in this case, "singing" refers to maniacal screaming about who knows what. I'd rather not look up the lyrics to this one, mostly because I can assume it's some variation of "I'm angry. God sucks. Death and decay." in as many different colorful ways as possible. Reading metal lyrics is usually pretty silly, as the music conveys whatever emotions far better than actually saying "I'm angry" ever could. 
Altar of Plagues - A Body Shrouded (I realize I just talked about how abrasive Altar of Plagues is, but I'm posting the song that got me into them in the first place, which is fairly melodic)

No comments:

Post a Comment