Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Gangsta, Numbers on the Boards, and Lady

Yesterday I found a "Best Songs of 2013 (so far)" playlist on Google Music. It was pretty impressive how broad of a range the playlist covered (did you know Black Sabbath had a new album this year? Neither did anyone else), but that also means the majority of it was shitty music (did you know Black Sabbath had a new album this year?). There were a few songs that were nowhere near my radar that really blew me away.

First and foremost, "Gangsta" by Kat Dahlia. This song CRUSHES! Kat Dahlia's voice is like Rihanna's but with way more attitude. Kat has two other songs on Google Music that I could sample, but unfortunately one was terrible and the other was alright. But this song dude... get on it.


Next up is a song from Pusha T called "Numbers on the Boards". I wasn't looking at my phone when this came on, but I immediately knew it was Pusha when he started. Pusha's style makes him one of my favorite rappers (and is a large reason why Hell Hath No Fury is my favorite hip-hop album of all time). The beat on "Numbers on the Boards" is just nasty. It's got a constant, in-your-face bassline with computer glitches and this sample of a crowd cheering that really pushes the song to the next level. 


Last was a song called "Money" by Lady. It's not the best song of these three by any stretch, but the album that accompanies it is really great. The album has a 70s groove to it that sounds like an album-full of "Fuck You" by Cee-Lo. Yeah, Cee-Lo tried making that album, but it sucked. Lady really nails it song after song. It's one of those albums where you think to yourself, "Damn, this is fun as hell! There's no way they can keep up this energy throughout the entire album without sounding lame." But, much to my enjoyment, every song sounds fresh, fun, and never repeats itself. 


Daft Punk, if you are reading this (I have one reader in France, so I think it's safe to assume it's one of you), this is how you make an album that glorifies the past without sounding corny and/or awful. To everyone else who loved Random Access Memories and wants to continue the funk, pick up Lady's self titled debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment