Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

It bums me out that my second post on here is a negative one, but we gotta talk about JT.


Here's my problem: this album is mediocre. It's not good, it's not bad... it is a hard mediocre  The short reason I didn't care for it is this album just has a different "vibe" than FutureSex/LoveSounds. I'm not sure exactly what that different "vibe" is, but he definitely sounds a lot "happier" on the 20/20 Experience. Lord knows I hate happy music.

But the long reason I was disappointed is the potential I saw in JT gone to waste. Remember when FutureSex/LoveSounds came out? And everyone was like "This is so good!" and you'd ask someone "what's your favorite song?" The answer would always be something like "I really like Sexy Back, but the end of LoveStoned/I Think She Knows is AMAZING!" Everyone loved the last half of that song more than anything else. And the last half of What Goes Around was also stellar.

So, on this release, JT goes "hurp derp, people like long songz? ok no problem" and every song is 8 minutes long.

Granted, the second half of most of these songs are better than the first half, but this is why I'm frustrated. Why didn't he just make the second half and cut the first half? We don't need a boring first half of a song just so you can give us a variation of those themes so we can be like "oh wow see how he CHANGED the beat!?"

JT was in a perfect position to take a risk and put out a challenging pop record. If it sucked, everyone would still love him after 3 more SNL appearances and his album would have still sold a shit ton. BUT if it didn't suck, he could have been proclaimed as the pop genius of our generation... sigh.

At least he gave us the song Tunnel Vision, which is a fantastic song.

Justin Timberlake - Tunnel Vision

No comments:

Post a Comment