Saturday, August 15, 2015

My New Most-anticipated Release of 2015

2015 has been a solid year, in many parts thanks to the always excellent record label Gilead Media. They put out two of the best Black Metal albums I've heard in False's Untitled and Pale Chalice's Negate the Infinite and Miraculous. And don't forget the sort-of Gilead released The Departure of Consciousness from Fórn.

Outside Gilead, we got a return from one of the most extreme bands in my library, Napalm Death, and possibly (definitely) the best hip hop album I've ever heard in Kendricks' To Pimp a Butterfly.

Well done, 2015.

But we still have a quarter of the year to go, and I am super stoked about a number of albums. Recently, one album has my interest so pitted piqued I can't wait.

No, not Beach House.

Not even Joanna Newsom (although when this drops I will likely have a conniption)

Mutha. Fuckin. CARLY RAE JEPSEN.


I was not too familiar with Carly before yesterday. I mean, she had "Call Me Maybe", which has an excellent bridge that redeems the start-stop nature of the rest of the song, but that's really all I knew. There was definitely no reason for me to think that she'd ever see the light of day again. But her lead-off single "I Really Like You" caught my attention as it fell into that hyper-sweet synth-saturated pop that I am always drawn to, and yesterday I checked out the rest of her promotional singles from her upcoming album Emotion, and they are so good!

She's got this neo-retro 80's sound to these tracks that sound like she (or her producers) still have Random Access Memories on repeat in their hatchbacks. If Emotion is the result of such a shitty album, I think I can forgive Daft Punk.

Thank you Daft Punk.

Get some bubblegum and listen to the songs below. Emotion drops August 21.





No comments:

Post a Comment