Saturday, December 20, 2014

D'Angelo and the Vanguard - Black Messiah


What's the saying? If at first you ignore your blog, blog blog again? I decided I'd come back and give this another shot, but I wanted to wait until the right album came along. 

Meet Black Messiah.

Before today, my knowledge of D'Angelo was limited solely to a music video in which he sings to the camera, ripped and naked, and subsequently caused every lady in America to lose their pants.

When I heard the hype that he released an album after a long absence, I just figured ladies had finally found their pants and were excited to lose them again. 

Watching SNL, there was an ad about the new album featuring the song "The Charade" and I was immediately intrigued. It sounded like a psychedelic R&B mish-mash of voices, a sound which I was not expecting at all from this record.

I immediately checked it out, and the entire thing is really excellent. It's smooth, funky, trippy, heart-ripping, head-bobbing music. My favorite part is I have no idea what D'Angelo's voice sounds like. Every track sounds like it has multiple singers on it, and none of them are your prototypical "lead vocalist" who sings above the others. 

Also, and I am no sound expert, but it sounds excellent. Everything is well-balanced and where it should be; both muddy and crisp all the same.

This album is well worth the hype. 


No comments:

Post a Comment