Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Candy Claws - Ceres & Calypso in the Deep Time


What can I say, I'm a sucker for sugar-coated dream pop. Ever since I heard -Feedbacker- by Boris, I've been listening to a lot of intense stuff. Everything from Drone Metal, to Black Metal, to Swans' Public Castration is a Good Idea (which is just as brutal as it sounds). And here I am, going from Altar of Plagues to the sweetest, catchiest music I've heard all year.

Candy Claws sounds as if Cults took heavy inspiration from My Bloody Valentine, and also hired that Winnie the Pooh illustrator to do their cover (which, by the way, is awesome).

Some of my favorite music is that where the artist's voice is indiscernible to the point where it feels more like another instrument in the mix. The vocals on Ceres & Calypso in the Deep Time are whisper-sung, but it never sounds like she is holding back anything. Typically, I feel like the whisper-singing aesthetic is left only to those shoegaze acts who are immeasurably sad about the leaves changing colors or some other shit. Candy Claws is instead extremely playful and cheery. For all I know, through the buzz and fuzz, they may be singing about killing themselves, but at least they sound extremely optimistic about it.

As of late, I've been listening to a lot of different things, many of which probably don't fall into my readers' demographic (all two of you). So if the blog has bored you, fear not! I bring variety! This is an album everyone should be able to enjoy. It's like "Orange is the New Black": at it's core, it's chick music. But I'll be damned if we all don't enjoy it anyway.


4 comments:

  1. Just hit "Play" on the first song of this album. We'll see. But let's be honest. Gotta trust THE Kile Stabales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need More comments. It looks depressing. you know whAT would help? not posting at the Crack of dawn.

    if you want mE to Start upvoting the shit out of you, post to reddit. post it as nsfw, they love that shit. btw, you'll need to post some boobs so it isn't spam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, what did you think, 'MATCES'?

    ReplyDelete